Friday 20 February 2009

I'm glad I missed this one!

Saturday 25th October 2008
Hampton & Richmond Borough supporters' 9,
The Rabblers 2.
at Bushy Park, Middlesex.
IFA League match


I wasn't at this match, I was on my annual 'birthday trip' to the Czech Republic. It's seems that the majority of you weren't there either!

I've never kept records of the Supporters' Team but if I had I would guess I'd be able to confirm that this team was probably the most unrepresentative of any 'Rabblers' side in an eleven a side match!


The team, as far I could ascertain was Ian Gannon; Phil Baker; Ian Wright; Chris Garrett; Jack McInroy; Mark Hutton; Jack McInroy; & Matthew Virgo.Along with two 'guest players' Aaron Long & Aaron Whitton. And some players kindly loaned from the opposition. We ended up with three Hampton chaps in Pink and Blue by the final whistle! So half of the outfield team were not Hamlet supporters by the time the match ended!

To be fair the gaffer Mick O'Shaughnessy took on this fixture at very short notice, which I doubt if he would do so again. The main reason he did was for the respect that we hold our Hampton & Richmond borough counterparts in, which was fair enough.


The less said about the game the better! To be honest the few that were there struggled to recall much about it!

I'll just repeat the kind words posted by our opposition on the IFA yahoo group messageboard:

"The Dulwich Hamlet team really are what IFA football is all about.They did everything they could to get a full team out at short notice -and made the journey over knowing they would have 10 at most.Fortunately we had enough numbers to lend Dulwich Hamlet some bodies - and thanks to those lads on our side who took their turn in the Pink & Blue shirt.The scoreline may look comfortable but for the opening 20 mins it was avery even contest - but once we got our noses in front we gained in confidence. 5-1 at half time the Dulwich Hamlet boys could have let their heads drop -but there was none of that.Always a pleasure to play against them and hope we can get over to them later in the season."


If anyone can recall who the goalscorers were I'd be most grateful.

No comments: