Monday 4 August 2008

Playing the tourist

One thing I like to do when I go abroad is visit museums and see the sights. Last year I-to my disappointment, even though I enjoyed myself-I only visited one museum. This time I was over here for longer, flying in Wednesday, & getting the plane back a week later, so I got a chance to see a lot more. I went to Helsinki a day before the majority of the team, and got the early Saturday boat to Helsinki, with Larry Marsh & Andy Tucker. But I failed to get to our rendevouz on time at Helsinki station on time at 2.00pm, so you're spared any touristy snaps I might have taken with them. Instead I have a few from Tallinn, just before.
On the Thursday a few of us took a train to a coastal town called Paldiski, where we got lost a bit and wandered through some woods, looking for old Soviet military bases, listed in (maybe an old?) Lonely Planet, but which had since been demolished! But it was still a pleasant day, in good company. At least I wasn't in the group led by 'tourguide' Griff, who went out to the television tower in Tallinn, only to find it shut!

Anyway here's a few snaps:

Marching into the unknown....we didn't have a clue
where we were 'yomping'. At one stage we bumped into a local.
Dawn decided to ask him for directions.
She asked if he spoke English. He shrugged and indicated he
didn't.
At which point she said very loudly to him "WINDMILL"
Even though we weren't looking for one! He went off thinking we
were loonies, only to stop twenty yards away, come back and ask us:
"tourists", which appeared to be the only English he spoke!



Well at that age you'd have a dodgy bladder too...Hutty
needs a wee-wee!



On the train home Dawn smiles for me, unlike the local lads
sat behind!



This is the Photography Museum in Tallinn, small but
well worth a visit.





Had one of our number been there before us, and signed the
visitors' book not once, but twice?
Or were these forgeries?



We also popped into the Maritime Musuem. A cracking
museum, and well worth the admission price of just over
two quid!



Mick couldn't stop playing with the exhibits!





But Larry's one was a lot bigger than his! ;-)

No comments: