Friday 1 June 2007

And a tournament view from the tournament Captain:

With it being such a historic occasion it was only fitting that Jack McInroy was appointed "Rabblers" honorary captain for the day for the 'Pa' Wilson Cup, especially as he had been instrumental in honouring our Club founder with the unveiling of the 'Pa' Wilson bronze memorial outside the main entrance to the ground earlier in the season.
We asked Jack to jot down a few thoughts on the tournament...

" I had a really great time on Saturday. It was a great privilege being the honorary team captain and a thrill to lift the trophy for third place.
When I arrived just after ten o'clock I saw a dejected Ian Wright slouched on a sofa in the bar and about to make his way home. I haven't been selected he says, Andy's got enough. No, Ian, hang about and maybe another team will be one short. He's glad he did because he ended up with a winners' medal having spent the day as custodian of the French sticks.
Steve Rickerby and I went next door to Sainsburys to pick up some bottles of water, some chocolates and biscuits, crsips, some wedding gifts for the soon to be weds etc. But no French sticks.
I was instructed to receive the kick off pass from Councillor Blango and hoof it up to the corner flag. But it did cross my mind to take a pop at goal, which if it had gone in would have been an 'assist' to Mr. Blango!
My apologies for missing a dead cert goal. Oh the ravages of time, if I were only a few years younger. I anticipated a parry from the 'keeper but just could not adjust my body to steer the ball into the unguarded net. Instead the ball hit the inside of the post and flew right along the goal-line and away. Aaaaaaaghh!
Steve Baker, who was watching the tournament with his mum, took the opportunity of having his photograph taken sitting in the dugout, thus fulfilling a lifelong dream. Well, I'm not sure of the lifelong bit.
From the centre of the pitch we could hardly hear a thing coming from the tannoy. So Mishi's well rehearsed speech and Councillor Blago's waffling was wasted really.
Three very enjoyable games-the two we played were almost empty of fouls. The 'final' between our visitors was the most exciting of the three by far: an incredible game. Paris San Belgique worthy winners. All the phtos I've seen are great, by the way. And well done to everyone for making it such a great success."

No comments: